Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wilco > Black Eyed Peas

This is just fantastic:



I'm not sure why Jeff Tweedy was performing at this seemingly random venue or why he had prepared a cover of the Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling," but it's very entertaining. Does he do this often? I'd say I should hang out in local music bars hoping to encounter a similar random performance, but as great as this performance is, I don't think it would be worth the endless hours of "emo/indie/hipster acoustical complaint rock."

You don't have to listen to I Gotta Feeling for more than about 15 seconds before you realize that lyrically and musically there is nothing brilliant about it. After hearing Jeff Tweedy slowly recite the lyrics and hearing how simple and ridiculous they are, it seems unjust that the Rebecca Black girl got creamed and ridiculed by her peers and the media for "her" song while I Gotta Feeling was performed at the Super Bowl without any sort of teenage rioting or backlash.

2 comments:

Joshua Baron said...

Did he say "Mayor Emmanuel" at the beginning? There was a Chicago poster behind him.

Matt said...

That's great. Without actually saying anything very insulting, he completely embarrassed them.