Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Musical Win

Winston is here. I'm already dreaming of him as a world class athlete or scholar. Yet, I'm also thinking that he may be destined for music because of the early music connections.

Although his name is Winston, we mostly call him Win. While he was in the womb, Nellie and I went to an Arcade Fire concert. He wasn't named after Win Butler - the lead singer of Arcade Fire - but I will neither confirm nor deny if he lept in the womb when Win Butler took the stage at the start of the concert. It did also happen to be the only concert we went to while she was pregnant.



Beck was also in the running for his name. In the end, I think it's better we went with Win and Arcade Fire. Beck is awesome and has incredible music, but if we named him Beck I would have felt compelled to play Beck songs for him as often as possible. That would be great once he was a little older and I could play any song in the Beck music library; but while he is young I would have wanted to play softer and mellower songs for him. Which pretty much leaves Sea Change as my only option. Sure, it's a great album, but he probably would have grown up extremely depressed and completely sour and pessimistic about love.

Not to say there isn't anything by Beck to play for him. I already played Sunday Morning for him the other day. One of these days I'll learn more lullabys so I can be the one to sing to him. In the meantime, this is as good as any and seemed to keep him happy.



One last musical note (pun intended), I realized just the other day that he was born at 12:51 p.m. I can't believe I didn't make the Strokes connection sooner. He could have come sooner or hung out in the hot tub a little longer before making his appearance. But he knew his daddy was a Strokes fan and would appreciate the 12:51 arrival. It's especially symbolic considering the Strokes recently announced their 2011 concert tour, their first tour since 2006, and also the year of Win's birth. No doubt our first father/son outing will be to their show.



I'm sure there are many more musical connections. I'll keep you updated as they are revealed.

3 comments:

Cherylyn said...

I appreciate the musical connections, but no pic of Win to go with this blog? Come on!

Lark said...

Nice. No really, that's fun.
And the next kid can be soccer-ly connected.
What is the name of that instrument that looks like a violin but she is turning some sort of crank? (In the Arcade Fire video...)

kent said...

Great question Lark. I had the same one after seeing them in concert. It's called a Hurdy Gurdy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurdy_gurdy

Hopefully next kid will have a soccer connection. The campaign for Torres Vinton has already started.

Cherylyn: Are we not facebook friends? I put some photos on there.