Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Guilty Music Pleasures

Three posts in three days? This is some sort of record or something. Adam sent me a link this morning to a band called Low. I guess they are mellow and somewhat depressing sounding band. Perfect for any attorney, especially one working late at night. A great way to help get you through drafting exciting discovery responses.

Hearing about his new find made me think of my most recent music enjoyment. I have sort of been out of it lately with music, which is sad because I really do enjoy music. Dave has a great music blog that I don't frequent enough. The only time I really have to listen to music is while I'm driving and I usually spend that time listening to talk radio. Sometimes I'll switch to KROQ or KCRW while I'm driving to get my music fix, but it's mostly me and my sports friends just beating sports topics to death.

However, every once in awhile, about every three months or so, I get sick of the sports friends and I get in one of those moods where I'm driving and the only thing I need is not just music, but some catchy pop/rap/crap music. Must be the eighth grade Kent taking over for a few moments. But he took over the other day and I couldn't resist the urge to head over to KIIS FM and satisfy my needs. I'm not trying to put down catchy, cheesy pop music or KIIS FM or say that I'm above it. The music and station aren't bad per se, they have their time and place, it's just that I rarely find myself in that time or that place where the music is tolerated, much less appreciated. Probably because I don't find myself on a dance floor that much anymore. And because the station overplays the songs like they are getting paid for it. And the songs aren't bad, just not timeless classics that you can listen to over and over for 10 months. Well, 13 year-old Kent probably could have, but 30 year old Kent can't.

Anyways, this is a long way of saying that I heard this song the other day on KIIS and it's pretty awesome. I guess its from the movie Step Up 3D which came out this past summer, which means this song probably came out about that long ago as well. I'm just now hearing it for the first time. I've never seen a Step Up movie. Based upon the clips from the movie in the video I'm pretty sure that I would feel the same about the movies as I do KIIS FM where I mock it and wouldn't voluntarily see it but if somehow I did, I'm sure I would secretly love it because somewhere inside of you there is a part of you saying, "this is awesome."

Enjoy:




Really quick follow up, someone needs to set the next "trend" for rap music videos. Not getting much variation. Fancy cars, throwing money all over because "I gots more than I knows what to do with", sitting in the club with people around you during the verses of the song and standing with your arms waving and people dancing during the chorus. I'm not saying every video needs to be Thriller like quality, but surely there have to be other ideas out there.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

That song is awesome because it's with David Guetta! He changed up the rap video... kinda rap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu0JS7nmQMw) This makes me want to take a gymnastics class, dance, and play in a water fountain.